Naltrexone injection & Vivitrol
The characteristics and advantages of Naltrexone injection and Vivitrol, liquid forms of anti-opiate and anti-alcohol blockers.
The liquid Naltrexone has become one of the most effective pharmaceutical treatments for cocaine and alcohol abuse because it helps reduce the chemical effects that cocaine and alcohol have on the brain. Naltrexone injection leads to decreased cravings and alcohol/cocaine use. It is also effective in the treatment of opioid dependence because it blocks opioid receptors in the brain.
Naltrexone injections advantages compared to Naltrexone Implant
No need for surgical intervention, hence the following benefits:
- No need for a licensed surgeon or operating room
- The patient can be supplied with 5, 10, or 15 doses of Naltrexone liquid (any nurse can administrate a single dose of intramuscular injection every month)
- Anesthesia is not required
- No need for postoperative care: incision dressing, removing sutures, antibiotics
- Participation in sports, weight lifting, showering, baths, swimming, etc. is allowed immediately after the injection
- There is no risk of septic complications due to incorrect postoperative care
- No foreign body under the skin
- No risk of implant rejection, as in the 5% -8% of the Naltrexone implant applications
- Extremely low allergy risk
- No scars
Disadvantages of inject-able Naltrexone
- The length of opiate receptor blockade with one dose of liquid Naltrexone is only 1 month.
- Administration of Naltrexone and Vivitrol may be very painful.
Successful application of liquid Naltrexone implants, as well as the apparent potential of Naltrexone implant, have motivated scientists to find the more advanced formula of Naltrexone drug. This new research has led to the emergence of liquid forms VIVITREX and VIVITROL ®, with polymeric microgranules base, and then the next generation – Naltrexone palmitate oil solution as an intramuscular injection.
VIVITROL ® – the first successful liquid Naltrexone
For more than 10 years, U.S. company Alkermes Inc. had worked on the liquid form of Naltrexone for long-term protection against relapse. After extensive scientific research, Alkermes Inc. presented VIVITREX to the world. The production of VIVITROL ® has begun after the FDA approval of this drug. These new formulations of Naltrexone are spread around the body through polymeric microspheres 75:25 polylactide-co-glycolide (PLG).
Specially trained doctors prepare the medical solution and immediately give the intramuscular injection to a patient. For this purpose, they use a special needle and other components of VIVITROL ® set. Each dose contains 380 mg of pure Naltrexone. The length of effective blockade of opioid receptors is 1 month.
Opiate blocker in injection
A new generation of long-acting liquid Naltrexone emerged under the names Naltrexone palmitate and Naltrexone in oil. Their application is very simple (as opposed to VIVITROL ®) and does not require specially trained personnel, or special injections. Any doctor or nurse can calmly and without haste give an intramuscular injection of blockers with a regular 3ml syringe. Allergic reactions to such solutions are extremely rare, almost nonexistent. Also, the risk of complications is negligible.
Oil solutions of Naltrexone blocker look like a transparent sterile liquid of golden color. They are packed in dark glass bottles of 3ml, 15ml, and 30ml. Sealed vials are stored at room temperature. Before use, shake the syringe. Oil Naltrexone (N. injection) effects last 1 month as with V., but its price is much lower.
Naltrexone implants are made in the USA, see US Patent No. 6,203,813.